Wednesday, July 6, 2022

A is for Architecture and T is for Train

A is for Architecture, Gerald Budner & Robert Verrall, provided by the National Film Board of Canada

While going through the family history files I inherited from my father I found some of my old school notes. In one Duo-Tang I found a page that indicated I had watched the movie, "A is for Architecture", in my grade 11 architectural design class in May '76. I couldn't remember seeing this movie, so this being the 21st century, it was off to Google to see if I could find it, and I did!

It was released in 1960 by the National Film Board of Canada, and has a very late 1950s cool feeling to it. Watching it again I find the beginning and end the most interesting parts*, not to mention the music, which I'm informed is by Eldon Rathburn. Going back to Google, I found this interesting video called, The Romance of Improvisation in Canada: The Genius of Eldon Rathburn.

And this being 30Squares, there's a connection to trains somewhere in this rambling :-) Apparently the above was taken from the 1952 NFB animated film, The Romance of Transportation in Canada, which at around the 5:50 mark gets into trains.

*Although the end is a little more distressing than interesting. It looks like some old buildings near the Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral in Montreal are being demolished to make way for a modern pile of concrete. It makes me wonder what new building they were pouring, and if it's still standing?

No comments:

Post a Comment