Friday, July 8, 2022

Last three birches


I finished three more birch trees, bringing the total to six on the layout. The first three were placed in a group over by the road. I've planted the two biggest ones of the new three on the other side of the layout: one by the shed, and the other on the slope near the rock face.

Those two biggest ones are on the right and left in the above armature photo. The smallest tree - in the centre of the photo - was planted over by the road, on the side opposite the original three. 
Birch trees seem weird to me. In the wild they're scraggly and grow in odd shapes. I hope that comes across with these three.
Here's the littlest one over by the road. And that birch log on the road? That's the piece scooped up from the workshop floor after shortening an armature to make this tree. I didn't want that piece to go to waste :-)

The layout now has 25 trees: 19 pines and cedars, and 6 birches. There isn't room for more, although I might try to finish this maple tree armature and squeeze it in near the causeway. This would let me try out another bark making technique that seems appropriate for maples.

The layout is nearing the finish line. I see many small landscaping issues I need to fix up, but I'm thinking major work is done. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the various odds and ends cleaned up, and can start planning a ribbon cutting ceremony!

No comments:

Post a Comment