Sunday, July 17, 2022

Abandonment - Part 9

Still groggy from last night? Can't remember why you're wearing pink rubber gloves? Friend, you need to review the last instalment. Now that you know why, let's dig in:

I heard ringing. Loud, nasty, incessant ringing.

It was the phone.


I stumbled off the couch and over to the telephone table. I picked up the receiver with my still pink gloved left hand.


"Hello?"


"Hello." It was Leslie. "How are you this morning?"


"I'm ok thanks. My head was aching a little, so I took one of those prescriptions I picked up on my way home. They pack quite a punch. Hang on. I need to open a window."


I carried the phone over to the window and set it on the floor while I pushed up the sash. City noises rushed in, but so did a refreshing breeze. I took a few deep breaths and started to feel better. I sat on the floor under the window and picked up the receiver.


"Adams was here last night."


"He was?"


"He told me the papers are blank because they're printed with invisible ink."


"Invisible ink? You've got to be kidding."


"That's what I said."


"Is it true?"


"He said if I took a page and held it over a hot light bulb I'd see some faint printing. I haven't tried it yet. I just woke up. Hang on. I'm going to stand in front of the window so the breeze blows over me."


"Are you dressed?"


"Yes, I fell asleep in my clothes."


I struggled up and stood facing the open window. Full breeze contact was great. The view, not so much. A faded blue Austin ElectraBeam with its ragtop duct taped down was parked on the street below. Adams was in the passenger seat. 


He waved to me. I waved back.


I glanced over to the couch. Maybe he was coming back. He wasn't there. I looked back at the Austin. He wasn't there either now.


"Hello, Ed, are you there?" I didn't realize I hadn't said anything for awhile."Ed?"


"I'm here. Markie's Austin is parked outside. For a second there I thought I saw Adams in the passenger seat. He's gone now." I glanced back at the couch, and then back to the window just to make sure.


Leslie sounded concerned and said, "That car can't be a coincidence. Maybe you should get away. Can you come over to my place? But, mail those papers first. You need to get rid of them."


"Ok. I'll need to buy a new envelope because our finger prints are all over this one." I glanced over at the kitchen table. The envelope and papers were right where I left them last night. The papers were probably ok, but the envelope was likely covered with our prints. 


"Get changed too."


She was right. Yesterday's clothes that I'd slept in, accessorized with pink rubber gloves, didn't make for a fetching ensemble.


"Ok, I'll see you later."


Part 10, the final instalment, can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment