Saturday, July 16, 2022

Abandonment - Part 8

Blank stares. Blank slate. Blankety-blank! In our last episode it turned out all those files that Adams asked Ed to get were blank. If you've been up all night waiting to find out why, wait no more! Go get some coffee, then let me fill you in:

It was still light when we got back downtown. I asked Leslie if she wanted to come to my place for dinner and a talk. She said no and caught a streetcar out to the west end. Just as well, my head was starting to ache. I figured I should take some of those meds the doctor prescribed and get some rest. I didn't want to risk a brain blow-out.


After Jess and I divorced I had a little money left over for an apartment, so I moved out of the suburbs to get away from my old life. My place was small, but at least it was mine.


When I got in I plopped the envelope on the kitchen table, got a glass of water, sat at the table, and washed down two pills. Arrrrgh. I got up and rummaged around under the kitchen sink looking for some rubber gloves. I didn't want my fingerprints on the papers. I found them.


I sat back down at the table with my hands suitably ensconced in pink rubber, opened the envelope, and spread out the papers. I looked at each in detail hoping to find something. They were blanker than blank. 


I could feel my eye lids drooping. The meds were starting to kick-in. I went over to the couch to lie down. I couldn't fully stretch out because Adams was sitting at one end.


I babbled as I adjusted my head on a throw pillow, "They're blank. I found blank pieces of paper for you. I could have made life easy on myself and just bought some at a store."


"They are not blank."


"I know, you're dead, and your eyes don't work like they used to, but trust me, they're blank."


"They are not blank. They are written in invisible ink."


"Oh brother! Invisible ink? Is this some Hardy Boys meets Nancy Drew meets Encyclopedia Brown afterlife prank you're playing on me?" I could barely stay awake and was in no mood for jokes.


"I photographed the originals and printed the copies with invisible dyes. I never stole documents from government files. I am not disloyal. I just photographed them. Hold one of the pages over a light and the heat will make the image faintly visible. Mail the papers to Douglas. He will know what to do."


Not disloyal? Invisible ink? Where're the negatives? Scarboro streetcar layout? My head was spinning. I had to lie down and sleep. I kicked at Adams to get him out of the way. He didn't feel anything because he was gone.


Part 9 is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment