Tuesday, September 28, 2021

'Tain't broken no more, McGee

Lumber stack fixed and new leg added

While photographing the diorama base it was clear to me that I'd have to replace the missing front corner loading dock leg on McGee Lumber, and try to do something about the broken stack of lumber.

Replacing the missing leg sort of goes against my do-the-least restoration philosophy, but that long, unsupported stretch of loading dock would be front-and-centre to any viewer and look odd. I found a suitable piece of balsa strip in my scrapbox and cut it to fit. It was finished by rubbing with a 4B pencil, and then glued in place with some Weld Bond.




Lumber stack before repair


I was a little more concerned about repairing the broken lumber stack because it's even more visible than the leg, which could be obscured by some strategically placed weeds. It turns out I needn't have worried as I was able to find the broken pieces along with some others included with the collection. All I had to do was glue them back in place. Once that was done I applied a thin wash of raw sienna watercolour paint, followed by some lightly applied graphite scrapped from a pencil, to blend the repair into the lumber stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment