Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Pretty Village structures on Hugh Boutell's 1925 layout

I was going through some scans and came across this one of Hugh Boutell's 1925 layout, which I believe is one of the first - maybe even the first - known HO scale layouts in the US.

(I can't recall which magazine I scanned this image from, but when I do I'll update the reference information)

What caught my eye this time around were what looked like two buildings from the McLoughlin Brothers Pretty Village play set - I've marked them with A and B in the photo. 

Engine House snipped from C&Z
Item B is I believe the 'Engine House', which in this case is a fire engine house. There's an image in Cooper & Zillner's book of the assembled model, and to me it looks like the structure on Boutell's layout. This model is included in the Dover reprint of the Pretty Village structures.

Item A also looks to me like a Pretty Village type structure, but I can't find a match in either Cooper & Zilner or Dover. Maybe that new fangled thing called The Internet might have something. 

The search continues.

2 comments:

  1. Nice find. Did you say you worked as a detective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1Cx26-928

      Not sure where I can find a gold Firebird these days :-)

      Delete