Monday, September 27, 2021

Cabin roof touch-up

There are two backwoods cabins in the E. L. Moore collection, and when I received them they each had a roof shake missing. On the large cabin on the left you can see where the shake is missing by the light coloured area along the lower roof edge, and on the small cabin on the right, the missing piece is on the right roof edge, about three-quarters of the way up.

In accordance with my do the least restoration philosophy, I decided not to make replacement shakes, but just reduce the colour of those two light areas so they weren't so noticeable.

With a moderately sharp 4B lead pencil I lightly coloured in the areas where the shakes are missing.

On the little cabin, the result is pretty good, and the area has almost disappeared. On the big cabin, because the roof shakes have a browner shade, the area of the missing shake is still visible, but not as prominent - it now looks like some kind of weathered understructure. Hmm, it might need a need a little more work with a soft pastel. In real life it isn't too bad, but the digital image is another story. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I was gonna suggest putting an overhanging branch over the offending area. Then I realized how close to the smoking chimney it might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when I get to building a diorama for these two, I'll turn the offending side away from the viewer.

      Delete