Thursday, July 16, 2020

A brief visit to the Havelock Visitor Info Centre

Late last month I dropped by the visitor centre at the Havelock yard. It was closed due to the lockdown, but when I drove by this week it was open. And I was also glad to see that they were taking appropriate precautions.

It turns out this little building isn't a restored railway building, but is specially built for its Visitor Info task. Unfortunately there wasn't any railway information available, but I was told that the old station has been fully restored. My next stop will be to see if I can get into the station to have a look.

4 comments:

  1. Sure has the look of a former something-or-other. Those double doors...or are they made to look like double doors? How odd. The search continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they got the design from a Canadian National or Canadian Pacific plan book of standard buildings. It looks like some sort of small depot or handcar shed.

      Delete
    2. Handcar shed - yep, that's the look. The bay with the entry door has a station sort of look, but I think it is the simple slanted roof and double doors that make me think of a maintenance-of-way shed. Reminds me of one I built using leftover Rico station parts.

      Delete
    3. Rico station you say? I need to look into that.

      Delete