Monday, March 16, 2020

The museum gets lights.....and a roof!

I continue to work on odd jobs. I think I'm avoiding starting a big project. Maybe I'm trying to get my nerve up or something.

Anyway, I decided to add a lighting unit and a roof to the natural history museum. Both were rather simple projects that I've been putting off for a long time, but now seemed like the time to give them a go.


The light isn't anything sophisticated. It's just a couple of pieces of styrene, a tube and an I-beam, with an LED light strip glued on.










Off in a corner of the building the manufacturer had already provided a hole in the floor, likely for some other type of lighting unit. What I did was glue a short piece of tube over the hole that my lighting unit could slip into. 

I didn't glue the unit in place because I wanted it removable. One of the problems I have with some of my buildings is that wires from lighting units prevent the models from sitting properly when they aren't in use: a side-effect of the PortaCabin Problem. 




The light bar stretches across the building's main diagonal and provides a fairly good uniform light. 











The roof is a piece of 0.060" styrene sheet cut-to-fit. It's removable. And it's detail free. I'm starting to develop an anti-detail roof agenda :-) When I'm out-and-about, walking and riding the streetcar and whatnot, I'm not confronted with a maze of roofs as I am with a typical model layout. I like street-level views, and I see me spending even less time trying to make roofs look real.

I still need exhibits and a name over the door. I'm on the hunt for some tiny dinosaurs, and the above door name plate needs to be inscribed with some hodgepodge of Latin and English letters. Iter prosequitur !

2 comments:

  1. "Lorem Ipsum..." is the classic text, and there are generators that will create a page of seemingly random latin text for you.

    Nice solution to the lighting problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The other issue will be figuring out how to carve the letters into styrene (?) and make the engraved stone look neat and plausible,

      Delete