Sunday, December 29, 2019

A ghost engraving?

I'm on a ghost sign kick and am looking through my photos to see if I have any.

This is the old Albert Britnell Book Store on Yonge as it appeared in early 2018. I mentioned it briefly awhile back as possibly making a good E. L. Moore-style building. But what struck me this time was the large Albert Britnell engraving on the facade - could it be called a ghost engraving, or is it simply something deemed too expensive to obliterate, which is maybe a working definition of ghost? Although I like a Starbucks Americano from time-to-time, I didn't drop in to buy one because I thought I might start crying once inside. I bought many books there, and remember their courteous and professional service.


Inside Albert Britnell's in 1984 (Image source)

No comments:

Post a Comment