Sunday, June 22, 2025

Bridging the heat in my subterranean lair

Here we are only 2 days into summer and we're having our first heat wave. It hit 29°C, with a humidex of 38°C today. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse with a predicted high of 35°C. So, the hiatus is parked for awhile while I hole up in the basement.


I've been puttering around, building the Circular Bridge for several weeks now. It's the last of the layout's 3 main structures, and the most challenging. When I last left the story the deck had been built, and some trusses were installed after the valley had been widened.


The bridge is made from styrene strips with thin steel wire for overhead trolley wire and trolley wire support structures. All those nut-and-bolt castings are Meng products glued on to give the structure a look of being constructed instead of glued together. Overall, it's an impression of the Mt. Lowe Circular Bridge, and certainly not an exact replica. And, the overhead wire is complete phoney baloney stuff too.

A primed Godzilla inspects bridge progress.

Well, if the heat lasts I'll move on to completing the overhead wiring installation and start in on trees, bushes, chaparral, and other scenic detailing. Stay cool.

2 comments:

  1. That nut/bolt/washer detail is really great! Spindly, as a trestle should be, without looking rickety or ramshackle, yet the curve and grade gives it a wonderfully playful, caricature feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It turns out the real thing also changes grade as well as curves, but I don't think the grade is as steep as on this model.

      Delete