Wednesday, January 15, 2025

Pencil sharpening like it was 1975

The red square shows the pointer I bought in 1975 at the Grand & Toy in Cedarbrae Mall

Over the Christmas holidays, when covid wasn't having its way with me, I worked on a stack of drawings for projects I'd like to build this year. I showed the one for Inspiration Point in a previous post. Above is one for an old, repurposed firehouse I saw when I was on Cape Breton Island last year.

Unfortunately my old mechanical pencil pointer gave up the ghost during this marathon drawing session. I thought its pointing days were over. Well, at least until I consulted that fount of all things we call The Internet.

The cups arrived as advertised: old, but never used

It's turns out the pointer was made by a company called Tru-Point in Michigan. The problem I was having centred on a little cup inside the thing that has an abrasive paper liner that does the sharpening. Mine was worn flat and torn so it wouldn't sharpen, and it jammed the device when I tried to rotate a pencil in it.

By some miracle a search of eBay turned up a seller in Calgary who had a 'new old stock' of 3 never used replacement sharpening cups - and in their original box too! They arrived quickly, and I was soon back in the pencil sharpening business. 

New cup installed and ready for action!

I guess it shouldn't be, but it still seems amazing that I can buy a new-old replacement part for something I bought 50 years ago. Given the high quality of the sharpener, and the fact that I've still got 2 new replacement sharpening cups, I should be good for drawing like it was 1975 for quite a long time.

4 comments:

  1. I notice that eraser shield — I just rediscovered mine yesterday, same design as yours, under a box of staples.

    Stay sharp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! I don't think eraser shields have changed design in decades - maybe since they were invented. I saw some new ones at the art supply last week and they look identical to my ancient one.

      Delete
  2. i couldn't find a better place to put this but thought it worthy of mention: https://www.paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/floquil-paint/floquil-paint.html
    if you've never had the pleasure of chocking on Dio-Sol fumes, well, you really have not missed anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the 70s I bought a single bottle of some sort of black colour of Floquil. I didn't know anything about it then, but I had read about it in RMC and MR. Buying it was a mistake: it was too reactive, smelly, and I didn't clean the brush properly after use. I never bought any more. These days I'm more-or-less 100% acrylics.

      Delete