Friday, January 31, 2025

Ballast

I've been doing some track ballasting and adding a little texture to the flat parts of the land with sand. For ballast I mixed Woodland Scenics light brown, brown, and light grey ballasts in about equal proportions. I didn't want the ballast to be too grey as I wanted the flat areas to have an overall light brown tone, but some grey was needed to pull these areas together with the grey mountains. I can see a few areas I'll need to go back and add a little more ballast, and some washes will need to be applied to do a little colour correction.


But, more importantly, I feel I'm at a stage where I need to add a few man-made structures to get a sense of how the human scale is developing. Conventional wisdom would say to finish all the scenic work first, but I want to see what the big picture is looking like before I get too far along.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good. May I suggest that, in areas where model pictures might include pieces of the layout edge, paint it as if the scenery extended to the front of the layout? Like a foredrop, similar to a backdrop. So photos all look complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Or use generative AI to fill in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an AI-free facility, although there are a lot of nuts here :-)

      Delete