Sunday, February 27, 2022

E. L. Moore's Log Church

Model photos courtesy James L. Dixon

When I first saw these pictures I thought it was the log church from the lost 1964 article, The little church on the hill. It turns out it's a duplicate.

In my excitement at seeing this model I overlooked two key points.

First, there was the obvious one: ELM dated it as 1968 on the bottom, but it appears he did it with a pen instead of a wood burning tool, so I wondered if it was post dated.







And second there're the chimneys. In that side-by-side comparison you can see the stonework on the one in the article (the black-and-white image) is quite different (I think the 1968 stonework is better).

Comparing the other images, one can see further differences, but I think the chimney stonework tells the tale, confirming it's a duplicate.

But, even so, it's an excellent model, and I'm glad it has survived in such good condition.

Regardless of being a duplicate, it is of the same charming design as the lost article's log church.

The bell tower's cross is missing, but that's easily replaced.










The walls aren't built up from individual logs, but are sheets of 1/8" balsa with logs carved into them.









Both side walls are more-or-less the same.









Like many ELM projects it has a removable roof and a detailed interior. ELM had this to say in the lost article about the interior layout:

I think, too, I've solved a couple of problems for the incoming pastor. 

First, having to pass right under his nose, the members are more than likely to be on time and, once in, not likely to get up and walk out early. 




Secondly, with a good hot fire in the rear, the sinners will have to sit up front to be reasonably comfortable, and there he can have a good go at them.

I find placing the lectern right beside a window a rather nice touch, it's both spiritual in that sunlight illuminates the words in the bible, and practical as the actual building probably predates electric lighting. Maybe that configuration was standard church architecture, I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. I dare say, 40 years after my own death, I don't expect to see people treasuring my old models. What a testimony to ELM's work it survives and continues to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I expect mine to go straight to a dumpster when the reaper comes for me. ELM's has this aura, related no doubt to his fame in model RR land, as well as the originality and quality of his models, that make people want to hold on to it. I suspect there are many more examples of his work still out there given that he made duplicates, and appears to have done many projects that never got written up as articles.

      Delete