Friday, February 11, 2022

A shed and a quick decision

No hemming or hawing, I went right ahead and installed the foundation for the shed. It seemed like the just the right building for the location, so I didn't see any reason to think any further about what should go there.

Let's get on with it.







A warning: this turned out to be an exercise in doing something the hard way, so beware if you try the same.

A made a little frame from balsa strips to outline the foundation, and then pinned it to the ground.

Once in place, I troweled in dollops of Golden brand coarse pumice gel. I used a scrap of styrene sheet to level off the paste to try to get as flat a floor as possible.

The whole thing was left to dry for a day.

In retrospect I should have simply put a suitably cut piece of styrene sheet on the ground and bonded it to the terrain with some putty, but, no I was obsessed with making what seemed like a 'real' foundation pad.

Ok, here it is after 24 hours of drying, and after the balsa strips were removed. It doesn't look too bad, but the floor wasn't level enough. There were relatively large gaps between the floor and the shed walls. 







So, I cut a piece of 0.020" sheet styrene to fit the foundation, painted it with a sloppy mix of acrylic brown paints and black, and when dry, drew on some board lines with a soft lead pencil.

Problem solved. The shed sits on the styrene floor quite evenly and level. Any gaps between the styrene floor and foundation were filled with white glue.

I added in some ground cover and green flock to blend the foundation into the terrain, and presto, it's good to go!



The shed isn't permanently attached to the floor, just set on top. I want to be able to remove and replace it with an N-scale building if I get a hankering to stage an N-scale scene.

What sort of N-scale building? Right now I'm thinking of something along the lines of a large, A-frame chalet. I've always admired A-frames, so building an N-scale one should be quite possible.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. That is a helpful pointer about laying a foundation.
    I have a Vollmer 'stable' that has an included base with moulded in flagstones, I left it detached when gluing up, with a view to providing some kind of wider base.
    However reading your experiences, I will use the kit base to ensure a suitable base. I will still not glue the structure down to the base as I have lighting to install/maintain as well as figures and decoration (straw bales).
    While making the straw bales I learnt just how much balsa has leapt up in price, it's now as much or more than similar section plastic extrusions. What would ELM have to say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect I think I should have just put a piece of 0.060" styrene sheet on the terrain and attached to the ground with some putty. When dry, I could then fill and shape any gaps between the building's base and the ground with more putty. When painted and blended into the scene with flocking and such, it would look just fine.

      Yeah, balsa is a crazy price these days. I hear it's because Chinese windmill companies are buying it all up to make windmill blades. No doubt ELM would have a cow as he quite frugal. I've looked into growing balsa trees indoors here, but what I've read, it's not possible.

      Delete
  2. Looks nice. Can't wait to see them lugging the handcar down the stairs to the track below it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dang! Looks like I need a crane or marine railway :-)

      Delete