Saturday, January 15, 2022

Track installed

Track installed and functional

I've been scratching my head for quite awhile over the Way Out Layout's track plan. As well, I've been settled on a simple loop for the longest time, but I've had some nagging doubts I just couldn't shake that stopped me from installing the track.

Then I had two realizations that broke through my mental log jam. The first came from this statement in Scale Model Electric Tramways and How to Model Them: "On a model tramcar layout there is always movement and action." The more I thought about that statement, the more I figured I needed another loop. In the past, I found with the Lost Ocean Line layout visitors liked to have a go at running streetcars and found it quite fun when we got a lot of cars going. This track plan allows for that. And second, I would like to build a compressed model of the old Yorkville streetcar barn, so I needed a spur.

During the head scratching planning action
Along with those two things I reintroduced strong diagonals into the plan. I found it surprising that certain diagonals didn't seem right to me, but others did. I can't explain it, but there you have it. There's now a tilted cross of a sidewalk / roadway that divides the plan into four main areas.

So now I think the layout has the right mix of elements for a little fun as well as space for scenes. Next project? I think I'll add the road and sidewalks along the long, straight section at the back as it'll establish a number of levels that'll work their way throughout the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment