Wednesday, January 12, 2022

O-scale models of Ottawa streetcars #695 & #854

Model of Ottawa streetcar #695. (All photos courtesy of the builder)

Back in 2015 I wrote a post about some excellent scratch built O-scale model streetcars and a diorama I saw at the 2015 Ottawa Train Expo. Then in 2016 a reader noted it was a too bad that I didn't have any detailed photos of those models.

Recently I was contacted by the builder of those streetcar models. He generously sent me some great photos of these unique items along with a backstory on their construction. 

This photo gives you a good overall view of the diorama. There are two O-scale Ottawa streetcars, #695 & #854, on an Ottawa street circa 1954. To me, the street reminds me of Bank Street.

The diorama, as well as each streetcar, is unpowered.

The streetcar models are based on information the builder could find, supplemented with some provided by the Ottawa 696/905 Streetcar Restoration Group.


The diorama is 49" long, 15" deep, and 15" tall. All modelling is to 1/48 scale.


The builder told me the streetcars were built "mostly from 'junk', i.e. plastic packaging, electronic waste, etc. using no commercially available items." I wouldn't exactly call the materials junk, because as longtime readers know I'm a fan of models built from everyday items found around the house or workshop. As you can see from the high quality construction, these models don't give away their humble origins.

Car #695
The only commercial parts are "O-gauge freight-car trucks which had suitable wheel-base and diameter, and on which I practiced 'plastic surgery'."Again, it should be noted that the models are unpowered. 








Car #695

These models don't have interiors, but that doesn't detract from the overall look.






Car #854




The models and diorama were started in 2013 and finished in early 2015. 











Car #854



The diorama was first shown to the public at the 2015 Ottawa Train Expo, held in April of that year, at the Ottawa 696/905 Streetcar Restoration Group's booth.

Car #854










I'm informed the diorama was donated to the Ottawa 696/905 Streetcar Restoration Group in late 2015, and that the last known location of the models and diorama was on the top shelf of a storage room in OCTranspo's Colonnade garage. Whether or not they're still there is unknown.


The builder tells me he's currently working on a 1/24 scale model of Ottawa streetcar #864. Unlike these static 1/48 scale models, this larger new one is going to be battery powered and radio controlled. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

If you have an interest in Ottawa's streetcar history the best source I've found is Bill McKeown's book, Ottawa's Streetcars: The Story of Electric Railway Transit in Canada's Capital City, published in 2006 by Railfare DC Books. 

[15 January 2022 Update: Some good news: I'm told by a representative of the Ottawa 696/905 Streetcar Restoration Group that the models and diorama are safe and sound in their restoration shop at the Colonnade garage.]

No comments:

Post a Comment