Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Making electric cool the Cartoons way

In the spring I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the hobby stores on my styrene road was carrying the new incarnation of Cartoons magazine. When I was a kid there were a few brief years when I eagerly awaited its newsstand arrival and greedily read whatever issues I could find. Today's downside though is I get strange looks at the cash desk when it comes time to buying the thing :-) I guess it's not considered something for 'serious' modellers. They couldn't be more wrong.


I can't account for their response. The magazine's just some simple fun and helps take my mind off things for awhile by sending me back to another time. Yeah, the stories are straightforward, but the drawings and overall vibe are great: humorous stories about all sorts of people building exciting custom cars, driving them, racing them, living with them, not to mention in-depth interviews with legendary automotive cartoonists, all wrapped up with positivity and fun. Yes, I've mentioned fun twice, but what's wrong with that?


I picked up the October / November issue on a recent styrene road loop. It's the all-electric car issue. Regulars like Trosley's Krass & Bernie make an appearance, but so do Don Garlits and his electric dragster as well some humorous fictional speculation on Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, and Nikola Tesla. Not to mention some intriguing cartoons on converting a Karmann Gia to electric and drifting an electric car. Surprisingly, I learned a lot amidst all the fun. I for one am looking forward to the electric hot rod revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment