Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Houston, we have track installed

Hong Kong tram picks up speed in the corner

It took about 3 days of part-time work, but it was worth it as the Loonar Module now has working track.

I had planned to use two lengths of N-scale Peco track I had in my stash, but it turned out that I had painted their ties awhile back, and the dried paint between the ties and the rail made the track a lot less flexible. Luckily I also had two lengths of Atlas on hand that I had not painted, so they were flexible enough to work with, and not introduce kinks into the rail as I bent it around the 8" radius curves.

Overall, the track layout consists of two strips of Atlas flex track for the front and back loops, a Peco left-hand switch, and scrap of Peco flex - one I hadn't painted - for the spur that travels along the road to the mainland.

Each of the Atlas strips has power leads soldered to the back of each rail. I do this so the track is not completely dependent on rail joiners for power continuity. 

The track is attached to the roadbed with transfer tape. I'm using that tape as much as possible to see what I can get away with, and to avoid using messy glues that need time to dry. When laying track with the stuff you need to be cautious as it bonds immediately making it difficult to pry up rail that hasn't been properly placed.

EVRR loco zooms over the bridge
I've run my entire fleet - the Hong Kong tram, Bachmann TTC PCC, and EVRR loco - back and forth over the loop and things seem to go just fine. I need to make a little video to show the module in action.

2 comments:

  1. So does a pike this small get a golden spike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the purpose of this thing is to try out new techniques, so maybe I need to put casting with gold on the list :-)

      Delete