Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Ready for scenery

I've been doing some cleanup and fiddling with odds-and-ends on the terrain to get things ready for detailed scenery work.

One thing that I did very out of sequence construction-wise was to add pieces of styrene sheet to finish off the base's raw foam edges. The styrene trim is cut from 0.040" sheet, and attached to the foam with white glue and transfer tape. I spent considerable time finishing the corners and filling gaps. When that was done, the sheets were painted with black acrylic.

I know that all the guides will say not to do this step when there's still a lot of messy scenery work to be done, but I couldn't stare at that rough pink edge any longer. Strangely, finishing the edge made things 'look right', and I get a good feeling looking at the little layout, as well as a desire to get on with creating scenes. I think having that feeling is worth fixing up any spills and nicks to the trim along the way.

4 comments:

  1. I missed the introduction to this project. Are you gonna cap it off with, like, an Inca temple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. No, there'll just be trees, rocks, and vegetation. I wanted to use this layout as a place for trying out scenery making techniques.

      Delete
  2. Vince raises a good point. People don't want to ride a train just to see nature. Pffft. How about a gazebo? OR, a pagoda. The sort of place people rent for outdoor weddings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, some clarification: VBDi is not Vince :-)

      There'll be something, but I'm not sure just yet what that something will be. Either way, that something will be changeable so that I could sometimes have something in either HO or N as the mood changes. For the times N is desired, I'm thinking of the Bert's Garage build or the Mt. Lowe observatory. For HO, the only thing I've setting on is having a DeHaviland DHC-2 Beaver, painted in old Dept. of Lands and Forest colours, floating in the water by the dock. From there, who knows.

      Delete