Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Finally, the twin is found...

One other AHM kit I found at the Syracuse train show was E. L. Moore's Emporium Department Store, which is the twin to the Busy Bee Department Store


After seeing so many old AHM kits here maybe you're asking, what do these things cost? Well, by my questionable observations, between $US 12 and $US 7 - for complete kits, and the better the box condition, the higher the price. 

The internet tells me that if we were to time travel back to somewhere between '72 and '73 when these kits were more-or-less new on the market, we should divide our 2019 prices by 6. Doing so we'd get a price somewhere in the range of $US 2 and $US 1.17, which seems a little low, so I suspect these kits have devalued over the years. Maybe that's a good thing so those of us that are interested in them can still get them for reasonable prices. But, it's all hit-and-miss, and availability of these relics is clearly an issue that will no doubt worsen as time goes on.

2 comments:

  1. What was lost in this packaging was ELM's intended joke: All 4 stores were clustered together, each having a big sale that day and some clever storeowner put a sign by his store "Main Entrance". Since that joke is now about 50 years old, I'd build the stores without the signs and paint them something more realistic than "plastic swirl" color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The odd signage obscures the buildings, which are quite nice. As I've been cleaning up around here, it's clear I have a number of ELM related buildings (kits, my own scratchbuilds, and an original) and I'm thinking of building a diorama to display them as they're scattered around the house.

      Delete