Monday, August 19, 2019

New stock of records

I surprise myself sometimes. I got up Sunday morning, put on some coffee, and decided to cut some records. Well, make some record sleeves for Stella's.

So yeah, I took an impressionistic approach, cut up some coloured paper into squares, 4mm on each side, and then glued them into the bins.


This is a shot midway or so through the process.

Over on the left is the partially depleted record pile. I didn't cut enough on the first go-round, and had to cut an additional pile of about the same size. Those bins hold a surprising number of records.

As well as records, I cut some pieces of file folder into 5mm x 4mm rectangles to act as bin index cards. They were inserted randomly to give the impression that Stella took the time to identify artists. 

Speaking of surprises, a few months ago I bought a copy of Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby on vinyl. I have a copy on CD, but now that I'm a certifiable vinyl snob, I wanted to find out if I could hear the difference between the vinyl and CD versions. Well, one thing lead to another and I only opened the album on the weekend. I found that inside the sleeve was a Ray Charles greatest hits album! Awesome indeed, but I was in the mood for some BE. Lesson Learned: Open The Album As Soon As I Get Home. In case you were wondering, here is Waltz for Debby:


3 comments:

  1. While I applaud your patience for assembling the display of records, I question your color choices. Look at this typical store photo and see if you agree? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=record+store&atb=v177-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.blogto.com%2Farticles%2F20160525-2048-RotateThis2-2.jpg%3Fwidth%3D1300%26quality%3D70

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, that was a big Google search. Not bad, but I wanted to show this pic: https://s3.amazonaws.com/btoimage/prism-thumbnails/articles/20160525-2048-RotateThis2-2.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1300_.webp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, white and variations on white dominate, especially with edge-on views. In my defence I'll just say that I wanted something that would jump out and attract the eye, especially since this is the last time those bins will be seen outside the store and in natural light. They'll be glued inside Stellas, and I wanted the view inside the window to not be too bland.

      A&A, on the other hand, won't have any interior detail. It'll just be a lit facade, some ads in the windows, and maybe some sort of printed photo inside for a little depth for anyone who looks beyond the windows facing the sidewalk.

      Delete