Saturday, October 27, 2018

Street repairs along the Alta Vista TC

We're thinking about resurrecting our annual Christmas Spike Party, but I'm not sure if the layout can be put into reasonable shape in time - we usually would hold the get together around mid-December, a week or two or so before Christmas. I've decided to try a few minor repairs to see if I can get in the groove for the work ahead. Some street track inserts I installed in the spring using transfer tape to hold them in place popped free over the summer. I reinstalled one using white glue this time, using a piece of board and a couple of hammers to weigh down the insert while the glue dried. Hopefully it'll stay in place this time.

2 comments:

  1. Spike party? (he says, using the same voice as the bass player from the Blues Brothers band when he said, 'chicken wire'?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, yes, I should have defined my terms :-) When Christmastime rolled around the year I started my previous layout, the Lost Ocean Line, we decided to host a 'Rusty Spike' party to show off the work done so far. I hauled the trainboard out of the basement - at that time I all I had done was installed the track and got it running - set it up in the living room, and we invited people over for snacks and drinks and streetcar running if they were interested - surprisingly many were and a good time was had by all - but maybe it was the free drinks :-) Anyway, the next year we held a Silver Spike party - the layout was far more complete and getting close to done. The following year we planned a Golden Spike party, but for various reasons it never happened. No more Spike parties were planned after that one. The last few days the weatherman has been talking about the chances for a snowfall around here - and last night we did get a significant dusting and it's snowing as I type this - and that got us talking about hosting a Spike party. But, to do so I'd need to do a lot of work on the Alta Vista TC to get it going with a minimum level of showability. So, as well as getting my snowblower to work, I need to give some thought to get my layout running :-)

    ReplyDelete