Friday, September 21, 2012

Disguises

[Main DCC terminals]
I used Atlas terminal track for connecting power to the rails. This makes for an easy, solder-free setup, but leaves the unsightly screw terminals visible on the train board. On this little layout I’ve got three of them: one for main DCC power, one for the DCC program stub, and one for a future DC power connection so I can run my old DC equipment. In general, trying to have a dual power DCC / DC setup on a layout might not be the best thing, but on this small layout my plan is to have a master switch that applies either DCC or DC. I’ll need to be careful and make sure I’ve removed all the DCC rolling stock before flipping the master switch.
[DCC power terminals hidden]
So far, I’ve built some camouflage for two of the terminals. The DCC power terminal is covered by a rise in the pedestrian walkway. It’s built from styrene sheets and hand-rail moulding. It just needs to be painted. I have some more hand-railing in my stash and I plan to install it along the walkway further down into the high-rise area.
[DCC program track terminals]
The DCC program track terminal is covered by an old equipment shed that is a survivor from my childhood ‘70s layout. The paint has been touched up a bit and it’s been glued to a styrene base that does the actual hiding of the terminals.
[DCC program track terminals hidden]
The DC terminal is way off on a stub in the rural section. I haven’t come up with a disguise for that one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment