Monday, August 20, 2012

Progress on the interior at the B3


I’ve been building up the interior over the last few days. I’m just going to do some rudimentary work and leave detailing for another time. However, I did do some upfront planning about lighting – hopefully I’ve learned my lesson from the McGregor Park Library problem :-)

The interior walls that make up the food prep area and counter sides are cut from 0.020 inch styrene.

The B3 is clearly a selectively compressed building, with the emphasis on compressed. In reality it would be far too small for any sort of everyday working café or bar. With this structure I just wanted to hit the highlights of what might be the main features of such a place, hint at the style I have in mind for this part of the city, and also have something that would fit the available space. It would be a place to buy a coffee or sandwich – probably to-go – and head out to a picnic table near the beach, or grab a streetcar and head home. If you’re looking for something more substantial, you can walk down the boardwalk to Moe’s barbecue place near the beach. There’s also a streetcar stop down there to take you home so you don’t need to walk back to the city when you’re done. However, if you’re looking for a band, a better view of the ocean, and something more upbeat, catch the streetcar at the Cedar Heights stop across from the Fortran building and go over to Grilles.

Inside the B3 there will be a few chairs and a couple of small tables in case the weather is bad. And there’ll be a Hammond B3 organ for a little dinner music. I don’t know how I’m going to build one in HO-scale, but I’m going to give it a try sometime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment