Monday, September 15, 2025

Is this the ultimate DHC-2 Beaver?

"World's best example of a DHC-2"

Whenever I'm around airplanes I'm on the lookout for de Havilland of Canada DHC-2 Beavers. If you're a longtime reader here you know it was the floatplane of choice on the Loonar Module layout.

The outline of a DHC-2 provocatively enticing me from the shadows :-)

I was at the Gatineau airshow over the weekend, and as I was wandering around the static displays before the show got started I happened to spy what looked like the vague outline of a DHC-2 in a distant hangar.  

So clean the chrome was blinding!

I was not disappointed. Venturing into the hanger I was greeted by this fine specimen. It's the most pristine one I've ever seen. The volunteer who was on hand to answer questions said it was the best example of a DHC-2 in the world! After giving it as close a look as I could from behind the black tape I'd tend to agree with her. I don't know who built or refurbished this airplane, but they did a great job.


A bit later in my wanderings I saw this fine example of a Cessna Skywagon floatplane. An excellent airplane; however, for purely sentimental reasons the DHC-2 remains my favourite.


Overall it was a great show with great weather and great airplanes. I hope to return next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment