Wednesday, July 2, 2025

On hiatus with the Clairtone Train

Design sketch of the Clairtone Train from The Art of Clairtone

Programming Note: Hiatus resumes. 

The hiatus is no longer on hiatus. Canoes to paddle. Bikes to ride. Lakes to swim. Paths to walk. Trains to see. And a stack of books to read. Especially this one I recently picked up: The Art of Clairtone: The Making of a Design Icon 1958 - 1971, written by Nina Munk and Rachel Gotlieb, published in 2008. Clairtone was the originator and manufacturer of the legendary Project G hi-fi as well as a long line of audio and tv products. Among the fascinating things I’m learning was that sometime in either the late ‘60s or 1970 Clairtone had:

“A model showroom on rails, the Clairtone Train travelled right across Canada, bringing the company’s line of products to dealers in small towns. As a sales technique, the Clairtone Train was innovative. “It was about creating a ‘total experience’ for the buyers”, said Eleanor Brydone, then a staff designer with A. D. Pollard & Assoc., the firm that designed the showroom.”


I recommend this book for the photos alone, but I’ve got the summer to find out the whole story. 


Later. 


Stay cool.

2 comments:

  1. Just imagine a Clairtone console with a (large scale?) model of the Clairtone Train (guessing it was just one car?) displayed on top and a poster of the image you've shared on the wall behind. Sounds like a rewarding project for a hi-fi and railroad aficionado. Always neat when railroads and non-railroad industries or interests collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, well, spooky, because it sounds like you're reading my mind. I need to go find my tinfoil hat :-) I had some ideas about micro-layouts for the coffee table that were very mid-century modern in nature, sort of inspired by Bill Baron's ideas and audio equipment that could be bought at Radio Shack in the '70s - adding a new meaning to the brand name 'Realistic'. I hadn't thought of an explicitly Clairtone reference, but that's a great idea !

      Delete