I was going to post a few more photos of TTC streetcars going about their business. As I was building up the post in my head I wondered if 'desire' was actually the term for a group of streetcars - you know, like 'a murder of crows' means a group of crows - or if it was just something Robert Jowitt cooked up for his 1969 book, A Desire of Tramcars, a copy of which I finally bought a few months ago.
Like any other resident of the 21st century who wants to know something I asked Google if desire was the term for a group of streetcars, and also typed in the book's title as the source of my question. Much to my surprise it came back with one of those AI summaries of Jowitt's book.
A few days ago in a long, late night discussion about the ins-and-outs of today's AI at a Toronto bar I tried to argue that AI seems to me to fabricate a lot, but presents it with great authority as if it were irrefutably true. I guess I had too much to drink to make a forceful case because I didn't make much headway with my argument, but I present the above unsolicited AI Overview as a sober example.
I present it because it's dead wrong.
![]() |
| The table of contents on the left gives you a list of the themes |
Ok, well, yes some of the points it mentions are touched on, but what book on streetcars (or trams or trollies or whatever you want to call them) doesn't. What this particular book is, is a collection of the author's photographs of trams in operation in the UK and Europe, shot from 1958 to 1968, and arranged thematically instead of technologically or chronologically, which are more-or-less the standard organizations for these sorts of books. It's a book about the love of streetcars, not of their instrumentality.
Although, Jowitt isn't adverse to explicitly making a point with words:
"Fools, fools are these little men who think they can live by motor-car alone. Fools are the Socialists who want to scrap what they think are stodgy old-school Conservative trams, at the same time protesting in towns where the Conservatives are mistakenly engaged on 'taking away the people's trams'. It is not the tram which is an anachronism, it is the men who scrap it thinking they are being progressive and modernistic. It is not the tram which causes congestion, it is the army of replacing cars and buses fighting in disorder through a fog of exhaust."







I found a custom painted freight car on eBay and Googled the road name to see if it was real or freelanced. AI tried to tell me it was a predecessor to the California Western, aka the Skunk Train. Why that road? Because I live nearby? Who knows. That very moment my wife and I were discussing it and I told her how wrong the AI was. When I searched again, lo and behold, it hand CHANGED its summary to say that some people believe it was a predecessor of the CW but this was incorrect. Spooky? Downright disturbing.
ReplyDeleteI believe that nothing any of the AIs have to 'say' can be trusted. The disturbing thing to me is that many people accept what AI says without question.
Delete