Monday, March 10, 2025

Trolley wire support post


I'm going to need a lot of trolley wire support posts as I did on the Central Experimental Farm layout. I was curious about what making these ones would entail, so I went ahead and built the one for the Poppyfield Flats siding to find out. It's location was hinted at in yesterday's test photo*. Here's a bit wider angle view of that image to get a better idea of where the post is located on the Flats.


The post has two wire support arms: one for holding the wire over the siding, and the other for the wire over the Flats perimeter track. The post itself is just a piece of 0.100" x 0.100" square-section styrene strip with floral wire for the trolley wire support arms. Some plastic bolt castings were used to provide a little bit of greeblie detail. The post was simple to make, but I can see that making a lot of them is going to be time consuming.

---

*In my reading last year about Malcolm Furlow's work on the San Juan Central it was noted that he would light and stage scenes on the overall unfinished layout as construction went along to assess how things were shaping up for taking scenic photos instead of waiting til the end. This seems like a good idea and I find it's helping me develop the scenery on this little layout. I can see a number of places in yesterday's test photo that I want to fix up before I get too far along.

No comments:

Post a Comment