Friday, June 2, 2023

Gil Mellé on kits

Mellé's painting guide for Revel's Sandhouse Pumphouse

I've been rereading Gil Mellé's Railroad Model Craftsman articles from 1961 and 1962. I'm looking for something, but I don't know what I'm looking for. A clue of some sort.

Mellé has a very get-down-to-business writing style that's quite different from E. L. Moore's. The only part that has so far seemed to stray into the land of background information was this brief sentence from Customize Those Plastic Buildings in the April 1961 issue of RMC:

It is my habit to buy virtually every new kit that comes out on the market be it plastic or otherwise, and there are few available that I have not built.


It was no doubt still possible in the early 1960s to buy and build every new kit on the market. Although, when he says this I think he's referring to kits of buildings as many of his articles deal with improving and superdetailing structure kits. This is in stark contrast to E. L. Moore who hated "like poison to put a kit together." let alone write an article on how to superdetail one. The early 1960s was the era of quite decent plastic kits of buildings finally hitting the market, so I guess it isn't too surprising RMC was interested in articles about improving those kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment