Thursday, June 1, 2023

Cal's Lumberyard: First side wall

Walls temporarily taped together

There are a lot of side walls on this structure. Four if I can still count: 1 adjacent to the office, 1 internal to the main building, 1 adjacent to the standard gauge car shed, and 1 exterior to the standard gauge car shed.

It looks like E. L. Moore handled the detailing on each one rather simply. I'm trying to give an impression of structure so when anyone peeks inside it looks more-or-less normal in there. I'm surprised at how much work it takes to make that happen. I'm sure that if I were to step up to a fully accurate interior, it would be a time consuming project indeed. Certainly not Mr. Moore's classic "2 weeks of evenings".

There's the wall of the main building that butts up against the office. The two openings that aren't filled with studs are for the doors to the office.

The primary horizontal and vertical pieces are 0.080" x 0.156" styrene strips. The thin vertical studs are 0.020" x 0.080" styrene. Those horizontal louvers are also 0.020" x 0.080" styrene.

Installing the louvers was a bit of a struggle. A tried a few methods that I thought were smart, but didn't work. In the end I just eye-balled them into place with a pair of tweezers. They're a little wavy, but not too unsightly. 


That space is where the boiler house will eventually go. I might work on it next for a bit of a break, but I'm also keen to get the main building's interior partition made so I can start gluing up the walls and seeing a building start to form.

2 comments:

  1. What a brilliant way to make windows. Why didn't I think of that? Your structure is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's turning out to be a trickier project than I thought when I started.

      Delete