Thursday, June 8, 2023

Cal's Lumberyard: Two more side walls

Top:Centre wall; Bottom: Standard gauge shed wall

I must now reveal an embarrassing secret: I've bought more styrene stock than I've used up from my stash :-( 

When I started this project I chose styrene because I thought I had plenty in my scrapbox, and could use up what I had on hand. It turns out I didn't have enough stock and had to buy more, lots more, to achieve the level of detailing I was after. I suspect when this project ends I'll have more in my stash than when I started.

Ok, so enough of true confessions. I should note I changed the design of the centre wall. E. L. Moore's extended all the way up to the roof peak, and incorporated some massive cross-bracing for strength. Maybe the prototype looked like that, I don't know. I made it a little more conventional - well, what I think is conventional. The roof on my version with have a lot of trusses. Also, in my design in order to accommodate box cars, not just flat cars, the wood loft doesn't extend over the narrow gauge track.

The side wall between the main building and the standard gauge shed is all conjecture on my part. And, as I've stated before, the framing details on this wall, like all the others, is impressionistic. I think the centre openings for unloading cars are likely too wide at 16' across to be realistic, but hopefully they'll make for interesting and more easily viewable scenes.

I'm just about ready to glue some of main building together, which I'm quite looking forward to.

2 comments:

  1. "Maybe the prototype looked like that..." LOL E. L.'s models WERE the prototypes. His imagination brought us plenty of likeable but sometimes fantasy models. I wouldn't treat any of his designs as "prototype". Well, maybe a couple exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the cover letter that accompanied the manuscript he mentioned it was based on a prototype from the 1920s. How much of the prototype he actually reproduced is anybody's guess. In my model I've kept all the over dimensions and shape the same as his, but have made some changes to a few design elements, and some detail.

      Delete