Thursday, September 22, 2022

Powering the Loonar Module with a Rokuhan RC-02

After building the stand for the Loonar Module I realized I was going to need some sort of power source and train controller that didn't have a cord plugged into a wall socket that viewers might trip over. Galen recommended I look into a Rokuhan throttle. I did. Their specs suggested it would work just fine, so I bought one.

The one I got was model RC-02. It uses 8 AAA batteries for power, and its output is 10 V DC and 800 mA. It appears to be marketed for Z-scale trains; however, what's important is not the scale it's targeted for, but its output voltage and current. For the little Minitrains diesel that runs on this layout, and the equally small N-scale locos, pulling only 2 or 3 lightweight cars, the RC-02's output specs are just fine. Also, since the Minitrains Gmeinder is only rated for 12 V DC max this new controller provides a little extra peace-of-mind that my full size controller, that can put 18 V DC across the rails, doesn't.

The controller came with a power feeder cable - that skinny wire shown in the photo. The black end plugs into the control box, and other end with the grey adaptor appears to be a proprietary connector to Rokuhan's brand of track. I removed it and soldered on a suitable plug - in the photo it's the black plug to the right of the control box - for connecting to the Loonar Module. 






The grey adaptor is only held together by a single screw, and once removed, you can pry out the two power leads. I unsoldered the connectors from each lead, and then re-soldered the leads to my plug.

Bingo! That's all that needed to be done. It runs the Minitrains diesel quite well, although the knob needs to be rotated a little beyond halfway before the loco starts to move. Still, there's plenty of fine grained control left in the knob's remaining range.

Ok, there is one problem: the power cord is too short. I'm going to make a much longer one so it's easy to walk around the layout while running a train. Stay tuned !

No comments:

Post a Comment