Saturday, September 3, 2022

Comparing VW pickups and vans

Left: Husky's VW pickup (1/66 scale) | Right: An HO (1/87) scale VW pickup

Through the magic of eBay I found and bought a Husky brand VW pickup. After comparing the Husky to a variety of E. L. Moore photos where his VW pickup appears, I'm fairly certain the Husky is the one he used. It looks like he pried out the extensible scaffolding in the bed and covered over the hole with some wood, likely balsa :-) 

The internet tells me the toy is 1/66 scale, which is close to S scale's 1/64, so it's going to appear a little large compared to other HO scale items. 

The Husky in comparison to other HO scale VWs
Although the toy is in good shape I'm going to convert it to E. L. Moore's version. This may seem like sacrilege to collectors, but I don't plan to destroy any of the components, so it could be changed back in the future. Longtime readers might recall my attempt at converting an HO VW van to the E. L. Moore pickup, and may also recall that it was lost just a few months later. I'll do my darnedest to prevent that from happening to this one :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment