Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Casualized overhead streetcar wire

I applied the principle of casualization to the overhead wire in the Mortimer Park Loop. In the real world the overhead in a return loop is rather complicated as the wire needs to be held in a good approximation to the track below so the streetcar's trolley pole can smoothly track along the wire without snags or dewirements. I didn't want to spend the time to replicate that. I only wanted the wire to look plausible when I shot eye-level photos. So, from above, the wire looks not curved enough, but from ground level, when the wire isn't the centre of attention, it seems ok. Although I must admit that I'll probably go back and add a couple of tensioning lines to circularize the wire just a tad more.

The overhead poles in the Mortimer Park Loop area are made from bamboo skewers. This is supposed to be an older part of the city, so I wanted mainly wooden poles down here. There are a couple of modern ones too as there would be when replacements to old wooden ones are required. 

After cutting the poles to length they were stained with a thinned mix of black and grey acrylics. The metal band where the wire attaches is a loop of Bare Metal Foil. Holes were drilled into each post through the foil to accept a crosswire.


I used plasticine to temporarily stand-up the posts as I figured out where to place them. I wanted to minimize their number to minimize the work, but I also wanted them to seem plausible from eye-level. As I noted above, I think I need a couple more for pull-outs to circularize the overhead a bit more.







Once I settled on their locations I drilled holes in the layout and friction fit the wooden poles. Hangers were made in the same way as those on Ocean Boulevard, but I was smarter this time when it came to installing them as I did it before the crosswires were added to the poles.The crosswires were then installed in the poles in preparation for gluing on the overhead 'wire', which is actually black thread. The overhead was glued on using the same method applied to Ocean Blvd.








And that's that, for now anyway. That's the view coming out of the loop and entering Ocean Boulevard for a run down to Ocean Park. As I peer through the viewfinder things are starting to develop the look I'm after. Eye-level photos help a lot to figure out what's needed scene-wise because they come close to mimicking how I see things on the street. Overhead views are a bit too abstract and my brain doesn't always click on the elements that aren't right or missing.

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice job staining the bamboo - it can be tricky to get stain to penetrate depending on the skewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The stain is thin mix of Model Master acrylic thinner (which is I think now discontinued) with a Model Master neutral grey acrylic and Tamiya flat black acrylic. The skewers are a house brand from a Loblaws grocery store.

      Delete