Friday, June 28, 2019

Wall-roof joint trim on the Elizabethton Depot

In a recent post about his Fallburgh / Pine Creek Park station, Galen discussed the possible need for wall trim where the end walls meet the roof

I mentioned the model is very similar to E. L. Moore's Elizabethton Depot - they're based on the same "prototype". I had some photos of it, but the images I posted all had the roof-wall joint line in deep shadow.








I went through my photos to see if I could find some better views, and do a little image enhancement on what I could find.

As you can see, Mr. Moore didn't apply any trim on the walls where they meet the roof.











And this is the depot's outhouse. Similar construction; no trim on that building either.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding and sharing these shots! I find it interesting that he didnt't use corner trim, and chose to put a couple horizontal trim boards along the end walls.

    He also painted under the eaves the same color as the walls. I a debating whether or not to paint my eaves the Forest Green I've used for trim, or to leave it white, or, as is sometimes the case in the South, paint it Robin's Egg Blue. That color was sometimes used on porch ceilings, so it isn't likely to be seen on high station eaves.

    His privy (far too nice to be called an outhouse, IMO) is the reason why I have chosen to add the same ridge and eave trim to the Team Track office just across the street from the station (*another post, yet to come). It harkens to an era when builders took, perhaps, more pride in construction and definitely more time building structures with character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stations and depots, even ones in small towns and villages, from the glory years of passenger railroading seem to always have some impressive about them. Modernism long ago destroyed all that. I think I have some other detail photos of roof detached from the building that show the eaves and underside that might have some more information to offer.

      Delete