Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Semi-circular windows installed

I buckled down and cut and fit the semi-circular windows. I was having some sort of psychological block with these because what needs to be done is to cut the window shapes from a thin sheet of acetate and carefully glue them into those quite fine frames without blobbing glue everywhere. 

I wasn't sure how to do this.



Late on Sunday afternoon I threw caution to the wind and jumped in.

I took a scrap of graphite paper, placed it carbon-side up over the window opening, then put the clear plastic sheet that came with the kit on top, and carefully rubbed the window sheet along the frame with the blunt end of my X-acto knife until a thin outline appeared on the window. From there it was just cutting and trimming along the outline until the 'glass' fit in the frame. A little Micro Kristal Klear spread thinly inside the frame holds the 'glass' in place. Repeat for all windows and presto! One of the smaller frames has a little too much glue, but I'll use it on the back patio wall. The other windows should be easier.

This kit is quite decent until one gets to the window stage where it jumps from being a beginner/intermediate level project to an advanced one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment