Sunday, February 24, 2019

Rendered Small: "Whether or not this is adequately and fairly called a psychosis is for others to judge."


If you're a long-time reader of 30Squares you know that I think E. L. Moore's work has its roots in the long-gone American miniature folk art building tradition, although he played out his practice of it in the post-WWII world of model railroading. As well, he was a transitional figure in that world and saw out the end of the 'folkways' approach to model railroading. Vince and I were talking about this theory, and it got me to take a look at Burke and Campbell's book again. Along the way I also found the above video about a movie that surveys their collection. It's pages 50 and 51 in the book that, for me, solidify the link between our modern conception of model railroad buildings and their roots in the folk art past (I know this isn't anything new to many readers, but to me it was). That little scan down there from the bottom of page 51sums up the link rather nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment