Sunday, December 11, 2022

Still life with static grass

Working on object placement
I've shifted from cutting and gluing foam slabs for mental diversion to creating scenery, specifically using my static grass applicator to build up the ground cover on the ELM diorama. I want to take some beauty shots of that setup, so this helps get things ready.

The very beginnings of an open field
At the same time I'm building up an open field on the LOL II with static grasses. I'm experimenting with different types of glues, and finding I'm liking the effects I can create using Mod Podge Ultra Matte spray.

Working between the two I think I'm finally getting the knack of static grass application.

And it's relaxing.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the prompt, I have modified my home grown applicator with extra wires, latching switch and ability to inject 9 or 12 volts as well as having the battery. This means I can energise a flat metal plate for tuffs, trees per the WWS Pro Grass Box, I didn't see forking out £45 for a low use item, it is but a second or two to switch modes. How do I add an image?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shelled out for a commercial applicator only because I figure'd I'd likely electrocute myself in the process of either building or using it - electrical devices aren't my strong suit. But, the Woodland Scenics one seems to work ok. I also bought the wall power adaptor for it as I read it doesn't perform too well with just batteries.

      Do you mean adding images to a blog comment? I think it's text only with Blogger (which I consider a drawback if any Googler is reading along and can add that feature). But, yours sounds interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing it.

      Delete
  2. I've emailed the image, by opting for 12v, it should give it more oomph! (certainly some very strong sparks)
    I'm going to use my 'magnetic gluing jig' (see amazon) turned over to give a larger working area than the War World Scenics 'Pro Grass Box'.
    Watching various videos it seems to spray the static grass everywhere (including some on the item!!), so I'm working out just where to test/work it without having to get the vacuum out, more than twice a year is totally excessive for a single man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Thanks! I use my trusty shop-vac for cleanup, but it'll suck the paint off the wall if I'm not careful :-)

      Delete