Friday, June 3, 2022

Ramsey's Park Square: Finished!

In the previous instalment I had finished the base layer painting. That layer didn't look too bad, so I thought, why not do a little concentrated work and finish the thing. So I did :-)

The biggest job seemed to be adding mortar lines to the brickwork. I haven't settled on a preferred technique and have used a wide variety over the years. I think the oddest was rubbing on toothpaste, although it did produce pretty convincing results along with adding a minty fresh smell to the project! This time I rubbed in some white, fine modelling paste from Liquitex. The procedure was simple enough: rub a dab into some mortar joints, then rub off the excess that got on the brick surface. I must have had dirty fingers when I applied the paste as the bricks came out with an aged tone. Maybe I need to market my finger oils as a high quality weathering compound :-)


The window frames were sprayed with a leftover can of Krylon green paint. It turns out none of the window frames fit properly in the wall openings. I didn't have the patience to file and fiddle with each frame and opening to get a perfect fit, but just pressed and squeezed each until it wedged in its opening and then applied glue. 

The draperies are printed paper items leftover from the Kibri apartment project.





Eventually I'm going to add a staircase below the door on the back wall. I admit I've copped out on this detail, but what I'm interested in with this model is the front facade that'll be seen from the street. In the meantime, for safety's sake, maybe I better add a danger sign to the door as that first step is a lulu :-)









Why are those windows bricked up? Won't the apartments be dungeon-like on that side? Well, yes, but maybe they just need the right tenant :-) Ok, well, this wall came from a Grusom Casket Co. kit, and not from its ancestor, the Ramsey Journal Building, so there's the reason. I was just making due with the parts I had on hand, and I didn't have either a complete Ramsey Journal or Grusom Casket kit in my stash. 





The roof is quite simple. The skylight is from the kit, and the air conditioner is from a collection of Walthers rooftop detail accessories. Other than adding some pigeons, and maybe some droppings, to the upper ledge of the facade, that is that. It's not the most detailed of models, but I like the concept, and I think it'll add a little unique character to the layout.

4 comments: