Friday, June 10, 2022

Lake water

A week or so after applying 'water' to the Loonar Module's lake bed I took the layout outside to see how it looked in sunlight, and to take a few pictures.

The water was made by first applying two coats of Golden gloss medium to the lake bed to seal it. Then a layer of Golden semi-gloss soft gel was sponged on to give the surface a slightly wavy texture. This was left to dry for a day. I wasn't happy with the reflectivity of the gel, so I went ahead and applied two glazes of gloss medium on top. Next time I'll simply use some gloss soft gel.

In natural light, and when viewed from the correct angle, the water surface looks rather convincing. Although, the bright late afternoon sun caused the water's surface to soften a little. After 15 minutes the airplane's floats were settled into the lake, and some considerable prying was required to unstick them when it came time to pack up.

If it stops raining long enough, I'm looking forward to taking more outdoor layout photos this summer :-)

4 comments:

  1. J.D. It all looks so real. As real as it gets for some of us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This little loop layout's purpose is to allow me to try scenery techniques I haven't tried before. Some things work, with others I need more practice. It's fun to play with.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great. The key is that it's textured, glossy and light is hitting it. Inside a dimlit house, it won't be as convincing but that'll changed if you light it well. The photos look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're right, under the workshop lights it doesn't look particularly good, but outside, or with some powerful LEDs, it looks much better. Although, I much preference natural daylight.

      Delete