Friday, April 22, 2022

Frankenstein's photographer

I didn't see how I could build a little narrow gauge railway without having a classic E. L. Moore photographer figure popping up now and then to record the action on film. Hayden and Frary had one, so I figured I had to have one too!






For the figure I think E. L. Moore used a Weston Flexible Freddie. Not having one of those on hand, I found a suitable substitute in my stash of unpainted Model Power figures. I cut off the arms, amputated the head, and sliced it in half at the waist. After a bit of trimming along the belt line I glued it back together in a hunched over stance. Some filling had to be done in the derrière region to somewhat restore the figure's shape, but nothing too Kardashian. A second figure donated the right arm that holds the shutter's cable release bulb.

The camera is cobbled together from scraps of styrene, and the tripod legs are from a paper clip. I think the legs are a little too thick, but being tax time I was short on paper clips :-)

Once the glue had dried I painted it with a variety of Tamiya acrylics.

I had a little problem getting all 5 points of ground contact to actually make contact with the ground, as the photo shows. A little more bending and adjusting of the tripod's legs was required.



The blanket is a scrap of aluminum foil cut and bent to shape. The folds don't drape all that well, but it gets the idea across.

The shutter bulb in his right hand is dab of white glue painted red when dry, and the cable release is a piece of thread.

Everything's now ready for photographic documentation of the life and times of the Loonar Module!

2 comments:

  1. For a foil blanket alternative, try plumber's thread tape. Drapes beautifully.

    ReplyDelete