Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Crossing Rockface bridge

I like the idea that this little layout could be used to test N scale, HO-9, and O-9 equipment on its loop. Continuing on with test photos, I tried this one of the EVRR N scale loco crossing the trestle. I can see a number of places where the trees and waterside vegetation need improvement, but the colour and shading are looking ok.


I've been cagey and have tried to leave out views of the water from the photos as I haven't poured it yet. There's still some work to do on the shoreline, so no pouring until that's done.

2 comments:

  1. You may wish to think twice before you pour your water. As I said in my EVRR article, I first poured the expensive 2-part epoxy. I had some trouble getting out all the bubbles and chiseled it up after it dried. I poured a second batch which came out very nice, a mirror finish. That looked great and all, perfectly reflecting the landforms near it... but it represented such a calm lake, it didn't appear to be "in scale". I dabbed on gloss medium over the epoxy and it looked way better. It may have lost most of its reflective qualities, but I had a sense of scale and breezy movement. The key to its impresiveness is getting light on it so all the dabs (ripples) would reflect in all different ways. I preferred the look of that. My next layout project went right to the gloss medium (never used epoxy) and it looked equally great. Saved time, effort and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information! I'll look into gloss medium.

      Delete