Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mineral City Depot


It’s been hectic lately and I haven’t done much building or posting. To help get back into the swing of things I thought I’d post a few pictures of some scratchbuilt structures I did back in the ‘70s - well, I’ll post pictures of the ones that have survived.


Back in the day, my output was high, but the quality was low, probably due to inexperience, youthful exuberance, and maybe my choice of materials, which tended to wood, paper, and card since they were cheap and readily available. Of the ones that have remained, this is one of my favourites.


This depot appeared as an article in the August 1975 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman called “On modeling the depot at Mineral City...” by Karl Naffin. For some reason I really liked the accompanying drawings and decided to build it; however, I was quite liberal in my interpretation of Mr. Naffin’s suggestions and recommendations on construction.


I guess the thing that really dates this model - and me for that matter - is that all the siding and trim was made from used IBM computer punch cards my father brought home from work. I remember that it was very tedious cutting and gluing that siding to the structure. The tar paper roof is made from strips of masking tape, as are the window frames.


The walls and roof are cut from regular craft-store bristol board and reinforced with 1/4-inch square balsa wood. Their inside surfaces were coated with shellac to help keep them from absorbing moisture - it seems to have done the job.


Hopefully, this station will find a place on the new railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment