Sunday, March 10, 2024

Dimensioning the Imperial Six's foyer

The Imperial Six's foyer is a tricky thing. I've been putting off building it for quite some time. I think I've been a little intimidated by it.

Suitably fortified with a jug of coffee I decided to dive in and figure out the foyer's dimensions.

The job was something of a trial and error exercise where I consulted photos of the foyer and worked on resolving its elements with dimensions of standard size commercial doors and HO scale figures until I got an arrangement that looked right. You may recall I bungled the entry door size on Coles and wanted to get the Imperial Six looking correct before I started cutting plastic.

I cut a piece of Bristol board into an L-shape that would fit snuggly inside the model's foyer space and drew on the various elements in pencil. This temporary piece allowed me to see how the finished insert would look. I continued to make some adjustments at this stage to get things to look right. I realize the foyer is still 2-D at this point, but I tried to be mindful of the 3-D shapes and spaces that would result as I drew up the insert. It doesn't look too bad, so it's on to picking movies for the sign board :-)

Left and right walls are the same

No comments:

Post a Comment