Monday, November 6, 2023

Assembling the Superior Bakery's Melted Twin

You may recall that back in March I was lucky enough to buy a Revell Superior Bakery kit at the model railway swap meet. The kit also contained a bonus: the leftovers of another Superior Bakery kit that had met an ignominious end by fire, or maybe firecrackers :-)  

I guess I should have just added the salvageable parts to my stash, but I rather liked the way they looked and decided to glue them together as-is. The only new parts I created were a floor made from a piece of 0.060" thick sheet styrene and a styrene brace made from strip stock for the back wall. None of the surviving parts have been painted or changed from the way I found them in the box. I may have invented a new form of "box stock" construction :-)

4 comments:

  1. Seeing it empty like that, it's like the Parthenon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it, it does.

      Delete
  2. Just a reminder: If you choose to make it a fire-destroyed building, fire doesn't make bricks go kablooey, it just turns them black. I've seen layouts that feature a brick building on fire and the fire has apparently burned through chunks of the bricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! It isn't meant to be a building destroyed by fire, I just though the shape of the parts caused by whatever fate befell them was interesting. Given the straight cuts on some sections, I'm thinking someone once went at this with a hot knife and maybe things got out of hand. Also, 1977 was the year ELM's Cannonball and Safety Powder Works was published, so given my current 1977 fixation, these sorts of accidents are on my mind: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2016/10/burning-man.html :-)

      Delete