Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Waupoos General Store Then and Now

Top: then, maybe late '40s or early '50s; Bottom: now, Sept 2023
Longtime readers may recall I posted the top picture and an associated story back in January 2021. That's the general store in Waupoos, Ontario in the late 1940s or, more likely, the early 1950s. The photo was shot by my father, and that's his car, which I think he told me was a '49 Mercury. If so, he had better taste in cars than I've ever had. 

This summer we drove out to Waupoos in Prince Edward County. The old store still stands. That's it in the bottom photo. It's no longer a general store but Stella's Eatery. Unfortunately it was closed when we drove by. That's not our car in the photo, and it's certainly not a '49 Mercury.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great example of why we should build additions to our simpler kits. The oldest photo shows 4 walls and a roof. The later photo shows an overhang and 2 major additions. Lots more detail and we relate far better to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I must admit though I like the signage on the original and the crates out front.

      Delete
  2. There is one thing we can count on in life; Change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!! And I'm very surprised the building still exists.

      Delete