Wednesday, May 3, 2023

First tree

My first attempt at a deciduous tree now resides in the cow pasture. The tree is modelled after the maple in my neighbour's backyard. I wasn't completely happy with the armature, but it turned out not too bad. I figured I'd plant the tree somewhere near the centre of the layout so that as I got better with making trees the first attempts would be somewhat obscured by newer specimens closer to the perimeter. I find that even basic trees, if uncompressed, bring a lot of life to the layout.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. Now if you could get the look of those finer, down-pointing tree branches, it'd take it to an even higher level. And those power lines, electric lines, whatever, lend more credibility to your scene. Any time we work from real life, our modeling improves tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbour keeps his backyard tree trimmed fairly well, so in his case there aren't that many stray branches, although on that scene from the farm, there are many trees in a somewhat wilder state where, if modelled, would need those stray downward branches as you mention.

      Delete