Monday, May 22, 2023

Cal's Lumberyard: The back wall

I decided to make the main building's back wall next.

It's more or less the same as shown in the article. The only changes I made were to add a window in the peak to match the one in the front wall, and to make sure the openings were the same height as the one for narrow gauge freight cars on the front.

The back wall's 3 vertical posts are cut from 0.125" square styrene strips.

The inside surfaces are detailed with styrene strips: mainly 0.020" x 0.080" on the back wall, and 0.020" x 0.040" on the front. Anybody who knows anything about framing real walls will note that these are quite laughable. They would be rather rickety and likely blow over in a light breeze. I've made no attempt for high fidelity in the framing department, only for some hint of realism as a stage for people and freight cars as they will be the centres of interest. It's all quite impressionistic. 

I'm always in awe of those YouTube modellers who can keep a nice, clean workspace while they are building. I've never managed it. I try to post some clean photos of major assemblies once they're finished so you can see them without visual clutter, but those photos don't represent what goes on during construction.

And, I've never managed to keep a set of plans clean throughout a build either. They're used as a tool during construction, and I will usually update and 'enhance' them as a project evolves. They are truly working drawings - arithmetic mistakes and all :-)

Now that the end walls are done, the main building's 2 side walls and interior partition are up next. I suspect these are going to be tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment