Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Starting to paint the Jigger

After a pause in construction I've decided to restart by painting the body shell.

I haven't been able to determine what colours the real Jigger was painted, so after some thought, I decided to use colours reminiscent of the ones Ottawa's streetcars used in the 1940s and 1950s, which appear to be well documented in colour photos.

Yellow and an orangey red dominate. For those I chose Tamyia Flat Yellow acrylic, XF-3, and Golden's SoFlat Cadmium Red Light. The Cadmium Red Light seems about right, although the Tamyia Flat Yellow is a little cheerier than the yellow on the prototype. The brown is Tamyia Linoleum Deck Brown acrylic, XF-79. I haven't decided on final colours for the roof, steps, or bumpers. All these paints are being applied with brushes.

Well, painting is maybe half-way done, which likely means it's really only a quarter done, and I see many areas for correction already, so ....

2 comments:

  1. Color indeed. It looks great! I am having some of my own painting decisions to make, hear at late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even though the colours are loud they would at least make it easy to see this streetcar in heavy traffic or on a cloudy day. It would be a great sight to see while waiting for it on a brutally cold late January day.

      Delete